Whether you are preparing for the next big game, about to go out on the field, or are nursing your wounds after a challenging match, these 15 quotes from sports greats could be just what you need to hear!
15. “You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them.” – Michael Jordan
This quote is all about setting your intention before you begin the task and believing in yourself.
14. “If you aren’t going all the way, why go at all?” – Joe Namath
Football legend Namath asks us to give it all we’ve got and not hold anything back.
13. “Champions keep playing until they get it right.” – Billie Jean King
The key, as King points out, is to practice practice practice until you make “perfect.”
12. “One man practicing sportsmanship is far better than 50 preaching it.” – Knute Rockne
It’s one thing to preach “fair play,” but the real champions demonstrate it on the field.
11. “A trophy carries dust. Memories last forever.” – Mary Lou Retton
Gold medal winner Retton believes that while awards are nice, it’s the memory of the moment that is most important.
10. “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.” – Babe Ruth
You can’t lose if you continue to try (and all that extra playing will only make you a better athlete!).
9. “The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer.” – John Madden
Former NFL coach and broadcaster Madden pulls no punches with straight talk about taking the right path.
8. “A champion is someone who gets up when he can’t.” – Jack Dempsey
We all get discouraged in life and in sport, but we have to keep trying!
7. “My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging.” – Hank Aaron
Sometimes the best way to handle a rough patch is to just keep going out there and playing.
6. “One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.” – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Abdul-Jabbar points out that it’s always important to keep your focus on the team, rather than just yourself.
5. “The more difficult the victory, the greater the happiness in winning.” – Pele
It doesn’t quite feel like a victory without a good challenge!
4. “There may be people that have more talent than you, but theres no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.” – Derek Jeter
As we’ve seen with many of these quotes, one of the most important factors for personal excellence in sports is hard work.
3. “I hated every minute of training, but I said, ‘Don’t quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.’”– Muhammad Ali
Working out and training for the big game or match can sometimes be brutal…but the payoff is worth it!
2. “Good is not good when better is expected.” – Vin Scully
Iconic sportscaster Scully is telling us that it’s not enough to bring our “B” game.
1. “You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
You can’t win it if you’re not even there—so show up and be the greatest athlete you can be!
IMPROVE ATHLETE PERFORMANCE WITH ATHLETE INTELLIGENCE
Don't forget that you can also improve your sportsmanship with our Athlete Intelligence system. With advanced impact and performance metrics, our sensors can help improve your technique, reduce the risk of injury, and keep playing to your full potential. All the data is translated into what we call Coachable Moments, which provide actionable recommendations for improvement.
For example, our using the Vector MouthGuard in football our smart system will notice when an athlete is taking more hits to the crown of their heads in fourth quarter. It will automatically provide the athlete or coach with a Coachable Moment that recognizes the athlete is tiring and dropping his head. The athlete can then recognize that do to overexposure on the field his technique has begun to decrease in performance and may result in injuries.
While using the Cue Sport Sensor in soccer our Athlete Intelligence system can recognize when players are using improper heading techniques and will provide Coachable Moments on proper technique in order to reduce the risk of serious injury.
To learn more about our system please download our Info Booklet below.